PEMPAL Internal Audit Community of Practice (IACOP) organized study tour for internal auditors with current involvement in development and implementation of public internal audit system to Sofia, Bulgaria from September 24-27, 2012. It was arranged for experts from Kyrgyz Republic, Republic of Tajikistan, Republic of Georgia, and Republic of Armenia.
The goal of study tour was to exchange the experience of internal audit units operation in ministries and institutions with the Republic of Bulgaria according to methodology used and internal audit and inspection legislation.
The study tour focused on the following aspects:
• Strategic and annual audit planning based on risk assessment;
• Preparing the report (after finishing the task on internal audit and providing recommendations);
• Filling out the audit documents;
• Using sampling methods;
• Auditing quality assessment;
• Discussing systems of internal control in public sector.
As the visiting countries’ system of internal audit is at a starting stage, the participants explored Bulgarian system which is already set up and is functioning properly. Bulgarian experience allowed participants to raise the specialists’ potential for improving legislation, methodology and therefore upgrade the practice of internal audit public bodies.